Cape Malay Stewed Apricot and Peach compote made with dried fruits instead of fresh, is delicious served with yogurt for breakfast, with custard for dessert or as an accompaniment to baked puddings. When served as a dessert, the Elgin Vintners T’Kane Ouwe Viognier Straw Wine is a great pairing partner.
- 250 grams dried peaches
- 250 grams dried apricots
- water to cover
- 400 grams fine granulated sugar (approximately 500 ml or 2 cups)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Cover the dried apricots and dried peaches with enough water and allow to soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Strain 375 ml of the soaking liquid from the fruit into a pot, straining out any grit.
- Add the two cups of sugar and cinnamon then boil on high for 10-12 minutes until thick and sticky.
- Add the rehydrated fruit to the sugar syrup and boil together for two minutes before removing from the heat and allowing to cool.
- When cooled, decant into a glass dish that has a sealing lid, refrigerate, and use when required.