25 ml Olive oil
25 ml Butter
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Cup Arborio rice
500g Mushrooms, roughly chopped
½ Cup white wine
4 Cups Chicken stock
½ Cup Parmesan Cheese
Freshly ground black pepper and salt
Thyme (optional for garnish)
- Use your favourite braai wood to make a decent-sized fire.
- Now prepare your risotto. Heat the oil and butter in black pot on the fire over medium heat and fry the onion and garlic for a minute or two until brown.
- Add the rice and fry for a few minutes while stirring to ensure all the grains are coated in oil.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until soft. Then add the white wine and stir regularly until all the alcohol has evaporated.
- When the rice has absorbed all the wine, start adding the chicken stock, one ladle-full at a time. The secret to a good risotto is stirring it continuously over medium heat so that all the flavours can infuse. Keep adding a ladle of chicken stock until finished. This should take approximately 30 minutes.
- The risotto is done when the rice is thick and creamy. Stir in the parmesan cheese, add pepper and salt to taste, and garnish with a sprig of thyme.
- Serve warm with Ridgelands Pinot Noir.